Managed Parking Systems Approach
The DDA Board and City Commission have approved the recommendation for Parking Services to move forward with a Managed Parking Systems Approach. The goal of the new systems approach to parking is to gain better insight into parking behaviors Downtown and provide options that serve the community and pass holder’s needs. Stay in the know and be prepared for future parking changes by verifying or updating your contact information with Parking Services by logging into the Parking Portal here. If you do not have a login or have additional questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 231-922-0241.
Parking Changes Effective October 17, 2020
On October 16, 2020 City Commission approved an ordinance change (484.04) to rescind free parking for fully electric vehicles. Those with fully electric vehicles will need to active the parking meter when parking.
Permit Parking Changes Effective November 1, 2020
- Garage passes will be permitted to park in Hardy or Old Town parking garages. Garage permits will no longer have the ability to park in surface lots.
- Surface passes will be permitted in designated permit lots P, T and V. There will no longer be overflow parking available.
Permit Parking Changes Effective December 1, 2020
On October 16, 2020, City Commission approved an ordinance change (488.06) to rescind the Meter Violation discounts of $5.00. This change will be implemented December 1, 2020. Meter violations will be $10.00 on date of issuance, escalate to $20.00 if not paid within 15 days of issuance and escalate to $30.00 if not paid within 30 days of issuance.
Parking Changes Effective January 1, 2021
Policy change – Parking Services is implementing the State of Michigan Secretary of State guidelines for free parking. Parkers displaying handicap placards will be required to display a disability placard or handicap plate with a MI SOS issued yellow FREE parking sticker when parking at metered spaces. Those displaying placards without a yellow FREE parking sticker will need to activate the parking meter when parking. Information on MI SOS issued free parking stickers may be found here.
Parking Rate Increases Effective January 1, 2021
- Metered Parking – Metered Parking will transition to rates by zone. Zone 1 rates will increase to $1.25 per hour and Zone 2 rates will remain $1.00 per hour. Zone maps are being finalized and will be published in advance of the change.
- Permit Parking – Surface permits will increase to $38.00 per month and garage permits will increase to $50.00 per month.
- Hourly Parking (Garage) – Rates will increase for peak-time of 10 AM-2 PM Monday-Friday. Old Town will increase to $1.25 during peak hours and Hardy will increase to $1.50 during peak hours. All other hours will remain $1.00 per hour.
- Violations – The Past Limit on Sign and No Permit/Failure to Display violations in increase to $15.00 on issue date, escalate to $30.00 if not paid within 15 days of issuance and escalated to $45.00 if not paid within 30 days of issuance.
- Event Parking – Meters may increase up to a maximum of $20.00 per day and Garage may increase up to $20.00 per entry.
- Services – A validation setup fee of $5.00 will be implemented for printed validations for use at parking garages.